Saturday, March 31, 2012

Disgusted

Everytime we go to the store, my daughter wants to take a detour over to the toy aisles, and everytime we do so, I become more and more disgusted by one collection of toys in particular: Monster High dolls and playsets. These dolls are said to be the spawn of some of the most terrifying creatures in our culture. The mummy, Dracula, Werewolf, Frankenstein.... To me, this is just sickening and feels very wrong. I feel children, especially young children, should be afraid of these creatures (or not exposed to them in the first place.) I do not feel we should be glorifying them so children become desensitized. I also feel these toys are just a gateway to more disgusting, revolting and more inappropriate toys to come... What's next? Are they going to start creating the spawns of serial killers? "Excuse me, Miss, you wouldn't happen to have any of the Ted Bundy daughters or Jack the Ripper sons in stock, do you?" NO THANKS! Bratz dolls bother me quite a bit as well. They are, excuse my strong word, slutty. Can anyone explain to me why these dolls cannot wear more appropriate clothing? Personally, I feel a woman's body is to be properly covered, not exposed for everyone to see. Dolls like these just encourage our young girls to wear shorter shorts and skirts as well as tops that show off their midsections or chests, and I have a problem with this. I would never tell anyone else what to think or what to buy for their children, but for me and my kids, we'll stick to other toys, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment